Thursday, September 23, 2010

Time Flies

Remember when you were little and it seemed forever for Christmas to come? As I get older, the body slows, while time flies faster and faster. I creep into the bathroom each morning for the pill I need to take an hour before breakfast. I have a little box with as row of compartments, one for each day of the week. Is this Tuesday? No, it’s Thursday. Somehow Wednesday disappeared.

And can it be September already? What happened to August?

I lost August. On August 2, I had surgery on my arm. I spent the whole month sitting in my recliner with my left arm propped up on a pillow. The arm ached constantly until after Labor Day. I watched a lot of dumb things on television, including repeat broadcasts of Larry King at 2:00 a.m.

Like a miracle, ten days ago I woke up free of pain. I feel good. Really good. Now I have stacks of mail piled up on my dining table, including some checks I must write and date properly.

I have not yet lost it completely. In Albuquerque I went with Louis Rice for him to be evaluated by a psychiatrist at the VA hospital. The doctor asked, “What year is it?” Lou hesitated before saying, “1986?” The year was 2000.

At least I remember to date my checks 2010.

Besides putting the paperwork in order, I must reorder my life. I live in this retirement home where all the basic things are taken care of, including cable TV. So why is life so stressful? A month of sitting in the recliner gave me time to think about lots of things.

I continue to be interested in life outside my apartment. I watch CNN and Charlie Rose. During dialysis I read TIME Magazine and The New Yorker. For entertainment I order old movies from Netflex, plus films to supplement the travel talks I do for ten or so old ladies who live here at Montclair. Then, in preparing my talks, as I recall my trips, I write blogs about my adventures. .
In the future I will try to resist writing about politics. I am disgusted with both the Republicans and the Democrats, the Republicans because they vote “No” without offering any alternatives, the Democrats for failing to take action. I suggested an income cap of $2,000.000 a year with a 50% tax rate. Who needs more than a million a year? The excess could go on the deficit. Nancy Pelosi did not answer my letter.

As for the Tea Party, they are fools to talk about lower taxes and less government. Anyone who wants less government should move to a place down a dirt road in the hills of Arkansas and try living with an outhouse and a well and no electricity – and all the other things our taxes pay for.

My promise: Less politics, more travel tales.

Meanwhile, today I ordered Christmas cards. The holidays will be here before I turn off my computer.

No comments: