Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dear Mr President

Leaving my travels for a day, here’s another rant:

January 25, 2011

Barack Obama, President of the United States
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

No simple answers to complicated questions. But I feel very strongly about cutting the deficit.

To do anything about the deficit, Congress must agree to:

(1) Cut military spending
(If you answer this letter, I’ll have more suggestions about this.)
(2) Raise taxes.
This means raise taxes on the rich (not just eliminate bush tax cuts).
Tax 50% of all income from $550,000 to $2,000,000.
Tax at 99.9% of all income above $2,000,000.
No deductions on incomes above $1,000.000.

It has been demonstrated that “trickle down” does not work. Giving the richest more money does not create jobs. But eliminating enormous incomes for sports stars and movie moguls and stars might result in lower ticket prices. Making things more affordable would increase sales and, therefore, stimulate the economy.

The majority of Americans would back you in such a policy. If Congress does not agree to cut military spending and raise taxes on the rich, it will show the American people that they are in the pay of special interests and are not serious about cutting the deficit

I have had no indication that anyone on your staff read any of my previous letters. When I wrote to Lyndon Johnson, at least I got a pre-printed card thanking me for writing.

Yours very truly,

No comments: