Sunday, April 3, 2011

On Vacation

Since the first of the year I’ve been writing about my travels. Right now I am stuck in Copenhagen. This is my antidote to thinking about the mess the U.S. is in.

The economy is a disaster. Congress seems paralyzed, with the Republicans obstructing all the President’s proposals, and no one willing to compromise on anything.

Our involvement in the Middle East is a quagmire. Young men are revolting against dictators. In Egypt and Tunisia with some success, the outcome in Libya uncertain. In Bahrain our friends the Saudis sent an Army to kill rebels. Everywhere the Arabs wish we would leave and let them fight among themselves.

Earthquakes in New Zealand and Japan. Tremendous devastation. Those countries are capable of rebuilding. The people of Haiti are still suffering – and will continue to do so until the population is reduced by 75% – and we don’t want a million or more ignorant, untrained, uneducated Haitian immigrants.

It is all too depressing.

I’m going to try to forget all about it for a while. I’m going on vacation.

Or rather, vacation came to me. My son David and his children, Adam, 11, and Alli, 9, flew from California to spend a week with me. I’ll escape from the monotonous food at Montclair’s dining room, as David always treats me to dinners at places like Red Lobster and Magiano’s. We’ll take the kids to White Rock Lake and to see spring flowers at the Dallas Arboretum and spend a day at Sally’s ranch.

After they leave, I’ll catch up on the laundry (all those sheets and towels). Then it will be back to Denmark. And memories of other happy times.

No comments: