Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Moderation


Buddha’s rule was “all things in moderation.” No excesses. Enjoy all the pleasures of life, but do not go to extremes.

Don’t eat too much; don’t eat too little. Don’t get fat, but don’t pass up a good meal in order to keep that skinny figure. Remember all those statuettes of jolly, plump, smiling little Buddhas?

I try to live that way, as much as my medical condition permits. I’m overweight, like a little Buddha, but not morbidly obese. I try to get enough sleep. I also try to find time each day to sit in my recliner and relax. I don’t meditate. I watch silly stuff on television. Anyone else for “Pawn All Stars”?

I keep to a crazy diet. Because of the kidneys, I avoid high potassium foods. There is a long “do not eat” list. No potatoes, no sausage, no bacon, no corn, no beans, no cheese, no avocados, no orange juice, no fresh fruits or melons, and lots of other no-no’s. I can eat lettuce. And lots of meat. (Dialysis takes protein out of the blood, along with the poisons.)

I cheat. I can’t resist a slice of cheese or a small wedge of watermelon or two tablespoons of guacamole. I cheat “in moderation.”

On Sunday my friend Lois picked me up. With her friend Joyce we have season tickets for to the Mesquite Community Theater to go to matinees five times this year. It gives me a “day out” every couple of months.

(I hear widows say, “Since my husband died, I can’t go anywhere.” Silly women. As stupid as men who say, “I can’t retire. I wouldn’t have anything to do.” Each of us has to make our own fun.}

This time the play was about eight Irish Catholic sisters. I liked it, but most of the Southern Baptist Texans in the audience missed most of the jokes.

After the play the three of us drove over to Catfish Cove for supper. At the retirement home where I live, only a few of our residents are Catholic, but Texans, even Baptists, love catfish. We have fried catfish every Friday.

At the restaurant I ate fried oysters. Definitely a no-no-no on my forbidden foods list. Heavenly! I enjoyed every bite.

When I die – which I expect to do before my treasury bonds mature in ten years – I will die happy, knowing I never passed up an opportunity to enjoy life. Always “in moderation.”

No comments: