Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Accomplishments


I spent yesterday working on the book about the trip I made to Europe with David when he was 13.  I hope it will be funny/serious and readable.  There is still a lot of work to be done before it will be ready for publication.  Will I get the job done?  If published, will anyone want to read it? .

Maybe it is all a lot of wasted effort.

So what have I accomplished in my life? 

Maybe it is time to reevaluate what I am doing.  I decided to clear off my desk and take care of correspondence and other business that I neglected while in Lala Land re-imaging that trip to Germany.  I found the stack of birthday cards I received in March and re-read all of them. 

When other people have birthdays, I go into the stash I keep in a drawer in my bedroom and try to find one that is appropriate.  I feel both ashamed and thrilled when I receive cards that are very personal.  Lois, Barbara, Martha, and Marjorie, knowing I like cats, all sent me cards with pictures of kitties.  Jean Johnson, who lives here at Montclair, gave me one that said “Happy Shamrock Day.” 

A special card, which said, “Warm with love. . .  on your St. Patrick’s Day birthday,” came from John’s sisters in Pittsburgh.  John and I were only married for four years.  He has been gone for 21 years, yet they still remember my birthday.  What wonderful, caring people!

But the card that touched me the most came from my friend Emma.  We were roommates in college more than 60 years ago.  We have never lived in the same town since, yet we kept in touch, treasuring each time we were able to get together.  It was a sad day last year when we said goodbye at the Kimball Museum in Fort Worth.  She moved to Austin to be near her son Lee.  Emma is deaf.  We can not talk on the telephone.  For the rest of our lives we will “talk” through e.mail.  

Emma sent me a birthday card which said, “There are some special people who make a difference in the lives of others, make the best of whatever life hands them, and make everyone else smile in the process.  I feel so blessed to have you in my life.  You have an openness that invites others in and a warmth that makes them comfortable.” 

Wow!  Is that me?

I hope so.  I try.  Every morning I go into the dining room and say “hello” to each of the old people sitting over their oatmeal and coffee.  Some of them have forced themselves to come down to breakfast after bad nights struggling with pain.  If I can lift their spirits a little bit, then I feel better, too.  I do not care if my books are never published.  If I can bring a little joy into the lives of a few other people, then I have done all I want to accomplish in life.

No comments: