Friday, September 25, 2009

Getting Connected

Before I moved into this apartment, I signed up for a new telephone and e.mail server. I was to have a new telephone number, which I mailed to about 50 friends throughout the U.S. But when it came time to have the phone installed, I was given a different number – which turned out to be the number in the telephone book for Papa John’s Pizza.

After 30 minutes of telling one caller after another that I don’t make pizzas, I pulled the plug on that one! A week later I was finally connected with still another telephone number (my fourth in less than a month!).

The man who installed the phone (the one who made me a pizza cook) could not get the internet connection to work. That was on August 9. I called AT&T, and, after dealing with a recorded voice and pushing various buttons, was connected with someone in India. I insisted that I talk to a human in the U.S. Since then I have talked to AT&T technicians in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Indiana. Two nice men came to my apartment and each thought he solved the problem.

Sometimes I can connect to e.mail and the internet. Most of the time I can’t.

Today I am connected.

I received several e.mails from a friend who sends me daily right wing propaganda. It upsets me to read how gullible people believe this stuff. But today he also sent a piece that was such a joy that I printed it and passed around to the other old ladies here at our retirement community.

The bottom of the piece carried a warning that it was protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and “is legally privileged.” I hope I won’t be arrested for quoting a bit.

The unnamed author said, “I like being old. . . I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).”

In my life, difficult times have led to better times. Soon I will manage to get a reliable internet connection. I will bombard you with blogs on many subjects. Please let me know when you agree or disagree. At this age I don’t let conversation lead to acrimony.

Also, I will quit worrying about these fools who believe all the nonsense broadcast by Fox News. I will trust that some day America will overcome its irrational fear of “socialized medicine” and be responsible for the health care of all its citizens. It is the right thing to do.

Meanwhile, right now I am going down to pool side and join my friends in enjoying fruit smoothies. My choice of flavor will be pineapple.

No comments: