Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day

Yesterday was Valentine’s Day. I spent all day, with interruptions, sitting on the couch with eyes on my 42-inch television, watching the Winter Olympics. I will write more on Vancouver and the Olympics later in the week.

Everyone needs love. Some of us don’t have sweethearts. Even family may seem to forget. I am sustained by the love of my friends.

At lunch time, I pried myself away from the beastly machine, picked up a stack of little Valentines and carried them down to the dining room. I walked among the tables passing out cards to old men and women. A simple gesture hoping to bring a smile to some who no longer have someone to remember them on Valentine’s Day.

After eating my chicken and cherries jubilee, I followed Harold as he pulled back and forth with his burly arms, pushing his wheelchair towards the door. This big man, crippled with multiple sclerosis, is anguished, less by difficulty walking than by the effect of the disease on his fingers. Formerly a professional musician, he can no longer play his beloved clarinet.

Behind him as he pressed the button to open the automatic door, I said, “It’s Valentine’s Day and I don’t have a sweetheart.”

Without turning around Harold said over his shoulder gruffly, “You are my sweetheart, Ilene.”

What a surprise! Harold lifted my heart and made me want to sing with joy.

I hope you, too, had a happy Valentine's Day.

No comments: