Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Psychiatric Help from Peanuts

Above my desk the bulletin board lists of books I’m never going to read, plays I saw last year, and programs I don’t have time to go to. I took down all the lists, tossed them into the wicker trash basket below the desk, and added the pins to the can on my desk.

I also took down the Classic Peanuts cartoon that has been right before me for over a year.

Charlie Brown plods along, head down, saying, “I’m in a sad state.”

Lucy is in her booth with the sign, “Psychiatric Help 5 cents.” Charlie Brown says, “What can you do when you don’t fit in? What can you do when life seems to be passing you by?”

Lucy says, “Follow me. I want to show you something.” She leads him to the top of a hill where she and Charlie Brown stand side by side with a blue sky behind them.

Lucy: “See the horizon over there? See how big this World is? See how much room there is for everybody? Have you ever seen any other worlds?”

Charlie Brown: “No”

Lucy: “As far as you know this is the only world there is. . . Right?”

Charlie Brown: “Right”

Lucy: “There are no other worlds for you to live in . . . Right?”

Charlie Brown: “Right”

Lucy: “You were born to live in this world. . . Right?”

Charlie Brown: “Right”

Lucy shouts: “WELL, LIVE IN IT, THEN!”

Charlie Brown tumbles over and lies on the ground. Lucy: “Five cents, please.”

That cartoon has been right in front of me for all these months. Among the clutter on my desk and bulletin board, I don’t notice it. I sit here complaining. Like Charlie Brown, I am in a sad state. So what? Just because it is hot outside (close to 100 every day) that is no excuse for mopping about my apartment. I have a new membership in the Dallas Art Museum. I’m going out, drive to Dallas in my air-conditioned Hyndai, and LIVE!

No comments: