Friday, December 7, 2012

Remember Pearl Harbor



President Roosevelt called it, “a day which will live in infamy.”  It was the day that catapulted the U.S. into World War II, and hundreds of thousands of young Americans died. 

Everyone who is old enough to remember can tell you exactly where he/she was on December 7, 1941.  Mariam, who is 92, was a young woman working in Bloomington, Illinois.  That Sunday she went home to her parents’ farm; the happy family dinner was interrupted by news of the surprise attack.  Even Layton, who was only six in 1941, still remembers exactly where he was.  

I was twelve, and even as a child, riding in the back seat of my father’s car and hearing on the radio a man say that Japanese planes attacked U.S. Navy ships at a place in Hawaii, I knew that my life had changed forever.  

I had another shock this morning – a mild one, like static electricity when brushing my hair, compared to Pearl Harbor, which was like being electrocuted.  I live in a retirement home with 100 other “old folks.”  Sitting at breakfast with three men, I realized that all three were born after the war and have no personal memory of the attack on Pearl Harbor. 

For most Americans, World War II is ancient history like the Civil War.  Two days ago Bobby was telling me about his time in the U.S. Army and how much he enjoyed his service in Germany.  “I liked Germany.  The country is beautiful, and the people were so friendly.”

It is comforting to know that the Japanese and Germans are now our friends. 

In spite of today’s problems, I feel optimistic.   The Middle East is in turmoil, as usual.  Our economy is in a recession, and most people do not understand economics.  In Congress recalcitrant Republicans oppose anything Obama proposes.  By three votes, Santorum and his bunch blocked the treaty to protect people with disabilities – a treaty which 125 other nations have signed and which received bipartisan support from reasonable Republicans.

What gives me hope?

Look at history.  We had quite a few mediocre presidents.  Franklin Pierce, Martin van Buren, Zachary Tyler, Chester Arthur, Benjamin Harrison.  Dare I add George W. Bush?  And then there was our paranoid leader, Richard M. Nixon. 

The country survived.  And thrived.   In 50 years the turmoil of 2112 will be forgotten.  I wish I could be here to see it happen.

No comments: